Thursday, February 26, 2009

Social Constructivism

Social Constructivism

I can use cognitive apprenticeship in my 2-D geometry lesson plan. I will be the expert and guide my students toward gaining knowledge about the different geometry symbols. Students will first observe me using my body to demonstrate the different geometry symbols. We will then do it together and I will coach, provide feedback, and give reminders about the different symbols we are demonstrating through our body movements. I will use scaffolding while teaching by gradually modeling less and having students create the movements on their own. I then give them more responsibility in the Geometry says activity, and lastly I have them go search for the symbols around the room on their own. I will ask questions throughout the activity where students have to address what they are doing because of what they learned. Have students talk about what they have been learning and how their movements have improved throughout the lesson. Ill ask what movements we did together and where they took them from there. They then have to explore new ways to apply what they are learning. They have to create movements on their own. They then get to play Geometry says, where they have to be creative and come up with movements on their own. They then have to go around the room and find examples of the shapes, angles, and lines that they had been creating movements for. This will make them think deeper and make other connections. Some tools I will use is putting pictures of the symbols up on the board, for the students to see. When they use their bodies to create the symbol that is also a tool. I will make sure to know each and every one of my students so that when I am teaching I will be know how to reach all of their zones of proximal development. I will have prepared them with the material needed before this activity beforehand. After teaching the lesson I will refer back to this lesson many times, so the material learned will be maintained.

No comments:

Post a Comment